Direct Fair Trade
We practice ethical business trade through what is known as Direct Trade, a standard by which many small farming communities can benefit far more than by receiving a fair wage.Our goal is to support the education of farmers and their families, to provide them with healthcare, and ensure their land is taken care of in the best possible way.
Small-Scale Farming & Production
- PLANTINGOur coffee is grown in the high mountain ranges of Panama where the conditions are prime for the production of great beans.The seedlings are permanently planted during the wet season so the sweet volcanic soil remains moist and helps establish young root systems.Coffee plants on average become productive after a few years from when they are planted.
- HARVESTINGThe harvested fruit called "cherries" from clusters that turn bright red when ripe. The harvest of our beans are hand selected and picked every 8 to 10 days during each growing season which yields a uniform ripeness for the highest quality harvest.
- PROCESSINGSoon after the picking, coffee bean cherries go to through a pulping machine that separates the pulp before the cherries are dried into their desired state before they are separated again by ripeness and size. Through the fermentation process the naturally occurring enzymes in the bean dissolve all unneeded elements before the beans are taken to be cleaned and prepared for drying.
- DRYINGWe import only sun dried coffee beans in order to preserve optimum quality. Beans that are machine dried use dry heat and pressure that make the beans taste bitter and remove what's essential in them that provide health benefits.
- MILLINGKept in parchment paper to sustain 11 percent moisture for storage, the beans are taken to get polished to remove the remains on the beans following hulling before they are graded and sorted by size, weight, color and other criteria.
- EXPORTINGNow at the "green coffee" state, our sun dried beans are picked into special bags to protect them during shipment before they are imported from Panama.
- ROASTING & MANUFACTURINGAfter these incredible beans arrive into the US, they go through our proprietary manufacturing process. After a unique low heat roasting process(which doesn't damage ingredients), our beans are ready for mixing with superior nutraceutical grade ingredients to produce healthy unique blends.
Rainforest Alliance, Mountain Grown & Shade Grown Coffee Importers. All of our coffee is 100% Rainforest Alliance certified, Mountain Grown and or Shade Grown. Our goal is to support the education of farmers and their families, to provide them with healthcare, and ensure their land is taken care of in the best possible way.
While we have good reason to believe that our coffees are richer, tastier and healthier than 98 % of the coffee that’s produced in the world today, our intent is not to compete with any ordinary or even great coffee, but to set the pace for a new and higher standard in the tradition of how coffee is prepared before it is brought to the consumer.As coffee futurists, we are committed to science and innovation to bring a better, safer and healthier future to our children’s children and their environment.As coffee futurists, we understand that being in the 2% category of roasters that roast coffee beans the way we do to make it richer in taste and healthier as a beverage to consume, makes our coffee blends a choice rather than a commodity.
Innovative coffee with a cause & an “effect”
The conception of Doctors’ Choice® was to get the attention of the world with a most revolutionary kind of coffee one cup at a time. Through a single serve market, ever growing to meet the consumer's demand, Doctors’ Choice® gives 29% of its net proceeds from the sales of coffee to benefit Mercy Ships.